Friday 11 August 2017

Lights of Vigo

 Hello!


 My last post saw the sun set over Vigo's harbour. As night started to arrive, I wandered through the old part of town, enjoying the peaceful, happy feel of the city at dusk.











 I made my way up one of the little backstreets that wind between Praza de Pedra and Plaza de la Constitución. The area is full of artisan shops selling baskets, ceramics, jewellery and more.








 I passed through Plaza de la Constitución with its ice-cream shop, bars and lanterns.




 I found myself face-to-face with the Merman. I had seen him in daylight and darkness but this twilight, in-between time really suited him. He looked magical and I could almost believe he was swimming in the sky.




 A carousel had appeared on Porta do Sol. Its golden lights and music gave off a fun but mysterious air.






 I stopped in Plaza de la Princesa.





 The topiary dinosaurs were still roaring.







 I found a viewpoint which offered a gorgeous panorama of the port and of the Ría de Vigo, Vigo's huge estuary.









 I also found a very green but pretty lit fountain. Are the Sweet popular in Vigo?








 I headed back down to where Porta do Sol joins up with Calle Príncipe, one of the main shopping streets and a hive of activity. A photo of Calle Príncipe was one of the first I saw when I was originally researching Vigo, and I fell slightly in love with it. It was great to finally see it in person.



 The Merman was now swimming in inky blue night.



 I found a posh-looking soap shop - it was closed but I looked forward to going inside one day. The window display was colourful and intriguing.





 Vigo was living up to my expectations in every way. It had a bustling city centre, incredible scenery and nature up in the mountains, a mix of cultures and languages, lovely food and a good public transport system

 Classes at Uni were going well, and soon my mother would be coming to see me, as she did when I was in Avignon. I'll let you know about her visit to Vigo in the next post.

 Thanks for reading!

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment