Friday 20 January 2017

Supermoon in Avignon

 Hello!


 Shortly after my return to Avignon from Lyon came the night of the November supermoon. I had forgotten about it but luckily happened to be in town with my camera. 

 Before being bewitched by the glory of the moon, I spent some time wandering and admiring the bunting advertising the Millévin Wine Festival, which was coming up.





 At the Place de l'Horloge the pavilion for the Festival was taking shape.


 I admired the carousel, which was all lit up and beautiful. A couple of cats were padding around the square; I often see them by the carousel and think of Dougal and the Blue Cat (a very weird but wonderful Magic Roundabout film).





 I headed towards Place Pie and was drawn to a window of gently shifting lights in what I think is the Conservatory. They changed from blue to purple to pink to red and back so subtly that it was hard to pick out the moment of change. The effect was warm and soft.





 I then went down to the river. After being awed by the vastness of the stretch of Rhône in Lyon, I was looking forward to returning to my favourite point on the Avignon stretch and enjoying the stillness and calm. Then I saw it. The supermoon.

 It sat above the lanes of traffic, yellow and round and bright, and it was such a "wow" moment that it found it way into a story I wrote, "The moon and river".

Moon in the centre

Moon below the leaves

The Pont d'Avignon looking elegant










Photogenic streetlamps

The moon above the walled town


 In my head I kept playing "Share the Moon" by Indigo Girls...


 ...but instead of "I wish I could be there to share the moon" I would think, "I wish you could be here to share the moon" because I so, so did wish that I could magic my loved ones to that spot to see the river and the old town and how amazing it all was. 

 I guess the thing about the moon is you can see it in a lot of places at once, but seeing it in Avignon by the Rhône was such a special experience.

 It was a memorable night, and after the grandeur of Lyon it was nice to so quickly have a chance to see Avignon again at its quiet, romantic, mysterious best.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment