Thursday 4 June 2015

Carcassonne

 Salut!


 Carcassonne was the first place in the south of France that I ever visited. I stayed there at the beginning of the two Montpellier trips that I went on with my sixth-form college, in 2011 and 2012.

 Walking down the steps from the plane and across to the airport the very first time, I was entranced by the beautiful view - the wise, deep green hills in the distance, the sun setting orange and bronzing the trees, the perfect temperature. The tang in the air. 

 It was then that I first started to fall in love with the south and especially Languedoc-Roussillon. That love was further catalysed by my time in beautiful Montpellier and in the Camargue, and led, of course, to me deciding to work in Perpignan.

 So it was with happiness and anticipation that I returned to Carcassonne after nearly three years to see if it has changed and to explore the town, walls and church more thoroughly.

 I arrived at the station and found my way to the right bus stop to catch a bus to the old walled town on the hillside.


I like how it has Romulus and Remus

Original Shop

 The bus crept up the hill to stop outside the entrance to the old town. I enjoyed the gorgeous views in the golden afternoon light.




Angels in the graveyard outside the town entrance





















 Inside the walls, the town was thriving with visitors. I recognised many places such as the dungeons, the carving of the town around a pillar and the amazing sweetshop that we all went crazy for on the college trip.
































 I had a good look at the church from the outside, although I didn't go in. I don't think I saw it at all on the sixth-form trips. It was a joy to photograph, especially against the very blue sky.









 At the far reaches of the town I admired the nice purple flowers and the lovely scenery.








 I wandered back to the centre where I visited some shops, bought postcards and ordered a hot chocolate in a brasserie. It was very pleasant.









I had this traditional dish on the first college trip; it was unusual but nice.



 As I caught my train back and then admired the moon in Perpignan, I was glad that I'd returned to Carcassonne. It hadn't really changed but I realised how much I've changed since I was seventeen and stepped off that plane for the first time. 

 So much has happened in just four years but it always comes back to the south of France. I love it, and not for the stereotypy reasons of the sun, the Med, the wine etc (I don't drink anyway!). For me there is something stronger and deeper, something inexplicable, that draws me back there.

 I've now been to Perpignan, Béziers, Montpellier, the Camargue, Grasse, Cannes, Antibes, Nice and Menton - but Carcassonne was the first and so will always be extra-special for me.




 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment