Friday 3 October 2014

Life and lizards

 Hello, all!


 I seem to have got into the habit of starting posts on this blog with a weather update, so I will say that it is now very, very hot and sunny! Well, obviously not this minute as I am writing this at night, but during the day it is blindingly sunny. The storms seem to be well and truly over!

 To go into cheesy metaphor territory, I feel like the weather reflects my stay here so far quite well - at first everything was new to me and I was a bit scared and homesick, which was reflected in the rain and storms. However, now I feel much more settled and the good weather reflects that.

 I have now been observing classes for three days and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is fascinating to see how classes are taught in France, and the differences and similarities between French classes and English ones.

 Probably the main difference is the length: French classes are often two hours long with a short break in the middle; in England classes, in my experience, rarely last more than an hour.

 I have had the pleasure of meeting more teachers, am getting to know the layout of the college and have obtained a card for the canteen. I am getting into the swing of things!

 I spoke last time about the lizards I see. They are all over the place here, and I love to see them scuttling around.

 Every time I see one it feels like a miracle, as wild lizards are just not something you see in the UK (unless possibly if you live in specific parts of the countryside). Seeing a lizard is one of the things that always reminds me that I am in France! Along with the palm trees and the mountains!

 Today I was at Médipôle, an area of Cabestany on the cusp of Perpignan where there are several medical buildings such as a deaf centre and cardiac centre. I walk through it most days on the way to the college.






 There I was finally able to have a photo shoot with my beloved lizards. I'm actually really happy with how these pictures came out, considering how fast they moved and how bright the sun was. I hope you like them too (you can click on them to enlarge them).









 So, my first week in Perpignan complete! I am feeling very positive for the many weeks to come.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment