Tuesday 21 October 2014

Cabestany Market

 Bonjour!


 I have been here three weeks! And it is the holidays! And my mother is coming to visit me! So I have a lot to celebrate.

 On Sunday I went to a special harvest festival market in Cabestany, my village. Visiting a French market is pretty much guaranteed to be a lively, rich experience, it's so much a part of the country's life and culture.

 However, this one had a definite Catalan slant which made it even more fascinating and completely different to any other market I've ever been to.

 Firstly, I made my way through Cabestany to 8th of May Place, where the market would be. I had never been there but it seemed straightforward enough on a map. I was glad to get there without any trouble and I saw some nice, colourful nature on the way.



















Nice gendarmes/firebugs






Interesting moth










It feels strange seeing Christmas lights up when the sky is so blue!


 I was thrilled to hear the sound of music leading me to the Square (which was actually circular!). The market was in full swing and the atmosphere was really upbeat and buzzing. I really enjoyed looking at all the stalls and sampling some delicious French and Catalan treats.

 And I loved the music - Vamos a la Playa, Voyage Voyage and other cheesy classics provided the perfect backdrop to the fun and activity.


These bugs are one of the symbols of Provence; seeing them was a nice reminder of the time I spent there during my college French trips.

Garlic, of course!







Nougat


Deep-fried potato fritters


You can't beat a crêpe with Nutella!

Fabergé egg selling churros, Spanish donuts




Cheese!


This gentleman sang several songs in both French and Catalan.


Hook-a-duck!

Cured meats

 It was a really great afternoon and I hope there will be more markets like this that I can attend.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment